Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Squirrel in the Living Room!

Pleased to announce the results of my first attempt at a life-sized taxidermy mount!


Ooooooo!
I spent most of July 4th hanging out with friends in my backyard; grilling, celebrating, and putting this guy together. Lord Julius IV: Order of the StumpTail a.k.a Mr. Fuzzynuts was found whilst cleaning out a basement  freezer, leftover from last fall's grey squirrel season. He had taken some serious shotgun damage to his right eye socket and was missing most of his tail to begin with, but I figured what the heck good enough to practice a first piece! And so the squirrel was thawed, pelted, and pickled. 


Pickling
At this point I've skinned enough small mammals that it was fairly simple to get the hide off and mix the very acidic hide preserving solution. Since I didn't have a specific pose for the mount in mind, a case incision was used to remove the skin in one piece. A squirrel hock-to-squirrel hock cut was made, passing under the base of the tail, along the grey-white fur line. This was to ensure that the final stitches wouldn't be seen by the audience.  After about an hour the skin  -including all 4 feet, ears, nose and whiskers- was freed from the body. It peeled off a bit like a tube sock. As the skin soaked overnight, I picked out a pretty generic mannikin, or foam taxidermy form, and several sizes of glass rodent eyes. 



One big mistake I made overall was failing to measure the whole animal from nose to the base of the tail, and the width and length of the eyes prior to skinning. When the foam body arrived and I excitedly began putting the skin on, it quickly became obvious that the hide (basically sopping wet after being rinsed/neutralized of acid and coated/rinsed again of hide tanning agent) was about 3 inches too long to fit snuggly against the form. The squirrel's rear end hung limply off the foam body like a tattered cloth. In addition the arms and legs of the animal looked disproportionately long when affixed to the nubs of the mannikin. Admittedly, I was feeling pretty discouraged at this point. Despite reading and re-reading the Mannual, there seemed to be just too many fine nuances to taxidermy art to simply describe to a novice. For example: just exactly how much bone and tendon should one leave intact in the paws in order to balance shape, correct preservation, and still avoiding rot? I sat back for a while and debated how best to proceed. However, time was limited as the hide began to dry to the form and needed to be shaped into a final lifelike position...


Tanned,  hydrated hide and mannikin with foot glued back on



















While struggling to mount the hide I stupidly snapped off the bottom right paw of the mannikin. The moderately brittle foam crumbled apart in my hand and all I could do was sit back and groan in frustration. While waiting for the glue to dry on the severed foot my mind scrolled through all the animal-stuffing techniques I'd been reading about. Around the house there was a decent collection of wire, glues, cardboard, and clay, but I didn't have the straw or sawdust old timers used for making taxidermy forms. As I worked outside on the deck, friends stopped by to inspect my progress and I smiled awkwardly, pretending to be in control of the situation.

After a good half hour of thinking it over I came up with a plan of action. Basically, it was a crude combination of all the methods I had been reading or youtube-ing. At this stage the face skin had been drying in place nicely and I didn't want to undo it. The mannikin was wearing the skin like a hooded cloak. I went back and snapped off all four paws. Then I used 22 gauge wire to fashion four 6" long arm and leg frames which were stuffed back up under the hide, in its "armpits". I began stuffing cotton balls as far as I could up into the armpits, trying to hold the wire in place without glue. Surprisingly it worked as I had hoped and the little beast's right forearm came back to life in proportion (more or less) and semi flexible.... there was hope after all!

I excitedly finished the other three limbs in the same manner. Bulking up his waist with cotton was the next step, probably the most fun and amusing part of the project. I then sculpted the overall shape of the animal by pushing and sculpting the pelt and cotton around by hand. When I was satisfied with the body composition I gently sewed up the original incision sight. I also worked the ears, nose, whiskers and lips into their final shape. His right eyelid was long gone so I couldn't get really creative with eye expression, but his lower lip was a different story. I gave him a comical gasping expression, representing my first attempt at mounting a small animal that was full of unexpected challenges.

All in all I spent close to 5 hours straight taxidermy-ing this grey squirrel. Later that night I realized we had tanned a spare tail from another squirrel my hubby had also shot last season. I carefully fed a piece of wire into it and tied it tightly to the mount's tail stub.  I adjusted the tail to a pleasant S shape and the piece instantly seemed to take on a new life. "Squirrel in the living room!" I thought at last.

 The next day I was looking the mount over and came to the realization that he needed teeth. At first I tried clipping the teeth out of an old vole skull, but they turned out to be much too small to fill the squirrel's mouth convincingly. (I also had painted the inside of the mouth greyish-brown, along with a few patches of missing fur) The solution was clearly to make some incisors out of sculpy, and after a few layers of paint he had some fairly convincing dentures. Just a hint cartoony, but that's how I like it.


Lord Julius IV, Order of the StumpTail



Dental Plan

patch of fur slip :(

Party UP

No comments:

Post a Comment